Friday, January 16, 2009

US Scare for a reason



Workings Mans Blog so here you go the week in review.

US Scare is what we call them in the aviation industry and for a good reason.

The pilot did a wonderful job of getting that aircraft back down. Also something should be said about the flight crew in executing an emergency evacuation under any conditions. Great people work there.

But US Airways has had some maintenance issues over the last few years since they filed for bankruptcy protection. It will be interesting to see if it was only a bird that brought the aircraft down. Lets see how this shakes down.

Talk about flight crews has anyone noticed flight attendants in general. At one time they had age and weight restrictions. Only the best looking and well kept could become a "Stewardess". With the restrictions now gone we have whats called "Red Eye Queens". These are older women who weigh in around 200 to 250 pounds and have to go down the isle broad side. They work these "Red Eye" flights because all the passengers will sleep and they wont be required to go up and down the isle as much. I have seen other flight attendants that were so old and frail that I do not know how they pass the evacuation tests. It is a safety concern that will only become a problem when it is a problem and people die ... Its only a matter of when and not if.

On the lighter side of aviation ....

This week while I was doing a security check on an International flight and I found a phone in first class. Nothing abnormal and it is custom to turn it on and try to find the owner. If anyone has ever lost a phone they know what a bummer it is to lose that information.

This phone had a very nice screen saver of a English Bulldog and as I start scrolling to see who owned it I was to amazed to discover the owners is ... no other than .... Gloria Estefan. She was up in the Admirals Club in terminal D and was panicked she lost her phone. I sent it up to her and thought maybe she could give me a shout out ... Nothing !!! Looking back I should have sent her a text message saying something like ..." Call Me G Friend".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sullenberger did a great job in putting that plane in the water. I wonder if glider experience helped? All the crew is to be commended. If I was a passenger flying on a plane I would love for him to be my pilot. He can now say "on land or water".